Queen Consort Camilla is backing a new initiative aimed at helping young journalists build careers in the media industry. The Queen Camilla Journalism Futures Award will provide
25 journalists aged between 18 and 30 with up to £2,500 to support their professional development.
The award, established by the Journalists’ Charity, is open to journalists working in print, broadcast, digital and social media. Successful applicants will be able to use the funding for training, equipment, relocation, accommodation or travel expenses related to their work.
They will also be offered mentoring or coaching and invited, along with a guest, to a special ceremony attended by Queen Camilla and industry leaders in February 2027. The ceremony is scheduled to take place on 17 February.
The initiative comes amid concerns that the rising cost of living, student debt and the financial pressures associated with working in journalism are preventing talented people from pursuing careers in the media.
The Queen, who is Patron of the Journalists’ Charity, has stressed the importance of a free, professional and diverse press, particularly at a time when misinformation and false information are widespread.
A representative for Queen Camilla said she hoped the awards would help people seeking to build careers in the media.
James Brindle, chief executive of the Journalists’ Charity, said the organisation was “deeply honoured” that its Patron was supporting its efforts to nurture new talent.
The charity described the programme as an opportunity to give young journalists the tools they need to take their careers to the next level.
The Journalists’ Charity was founded in 1864 by Charles Dickens and has longstanding links with the Royal Family. Queen Victoria granted the organisation a Royal Charter in 1890, while Queen Elizabeth II previously served as its Patron.
Queen Camilla became Patron following the death of Queen Elizabeth II.
Applications for the inaugural Queen Consort Camilla Journalism Futures Award are now open, with a deadline of midnight on Wednesday, 26 August.
Applicants must be aged between 18 and 30, live in the UK and either work in journalism or, if freelance, derive their full income from work in the field.
The award is expected to become an annual initiative, with the Journalists’ Charity currently planning to support 25 journalists each year. Photo by HM Government, Wikimedia commons.

























